Saturday

Sundry Comments!

I've been recently criticized for my lack of recent posts, so it's good to know people are reading. :) My allergies are at bay, but my stomach feels off (my family eats rather differently than I did while in school - something I plan on tweaking if possible, because it's nothing but white bread and refined processed stuff as far as the eye can see. Warning: I'm something of a hippie - whole grains, bulk natural foods, low or no processed foods, making your own clothes, frugality sometimes at the cost of sanity, and so on).

I watched Good Night and Good Luck last night with my dad, who was born in 1950, with many interspersed discussions about Senator McCarthy, the Cold War, the Berlin Wall, and so on. There's so much of recent history that I'm ignorant about. And I feel so confused sometimes looking at this history. Joe McCarthy is dead and undefended but is now recognized almost universally as a scoundrel and a liar, a fabricator who didn't just step but freakin' tap-danced on civil liberties given US citizens via the constitution. And then crashed and burned publicly - as I think he ought to have done, given what he put others through. But that is in retrospect. What about at the time? At the time he was a powerful force, who argued that those who against him him were against the Union (Mom, apple pie, et. all) and were supporters of communism. Clooney made the film (in his words, in the commentary) as a modern-day equivalent to Miller's The Crucible, to comment on current events and political rhetoric.

I do wish I understood politics better. Or at least people.

Suffice it to say: I like the film Good Night and Good Luck, if only because it evokes historical and political discussion, has subtle humor and camera work, and has some brilliant performances in it. Plus the music is great - jazz from the 50s, Ella Fitzgerald type stuff. I recommend it.

Today Dad and I moved my old dresser out of my room and replaced it with one he refinished. It's lovely! He refinished it himself. Here's a picture:



So now I can finally unpack! Woot!

Eat a steak,
Guin

4 comments:

ishtheintrepid said...

I'd love to see that movie just because I extensively studied The Crucible and was even the leading lady in it. I still read it for social commentary.

And with a dresser like that, darn right you can unpack! In Style!

BigRedHammer said...

I loved that Red Hunt era. As the Bigredhammer it particularly interests me.

-Bigredhammer

Analytical Mom said...

Yay! Post!

Actually McCarthy I feel was maligned. I mean we do know that there were a bunch of commies in our country at that time who were selling our information. Even if he may not have done it in the best of ways. Check the original source material of the trials before you make a decision.

the mighty guin said...

If nothing else McCarthy repeatedly violated the Constitution - he would leave shortly after questioning and accusing began, violating the right of the accused to face their accuser in court. Various stunts like that. The nice thing about Good Night and Good Luck is that they show actual footage from the trials, so I know the above actually happened. I think they try to approach the whole issue fairly too - they point out that people censor themselves as well as attack others' censorship, for one.