This will shock some: a serious post. They do happen, as I am serious on a regular basis.
I am currently taking a class discussing various orthodox religions and their role in their followers' homes. I'm repeatedly struck by the many ways their religions of the world are alike. There are so many areas in which Catholics, Muslims, Jews, LDS, Orthodox Christians, Protestants of various types, Buddhists, others are similar - the love and importance of family, kindness and care for others, the importance of ritual and practices to emphasize and teach about faith. We do all differ in significant ways, but I wonder sometimes if folks realize how similar we really are. We're so much alike (honestly, I'm still in a state of wonder over it - I'd heard we were similar, but it's another thing entirely to learn it yourself).
I wonder if the state of the world would be improved if we just learned more about each other, religiously and otherwise. Not to combat the individual cultures or faiths' influences, or to better point out perceived vulnerabilities, but just to know and understand each other better, to see where the other person is coming from and to know more truthfully what others believe and why. I don't expect that'd solve all our world's problems (they're awfully varied and complex) but I wonder what the specific effects would be.
Have a sandwich!
Guin
3 comments:
I experienced that same thing in my "LDS and World Religions" class a few years. I really gained a lot of respect for other religions. Some of them were really interesting and the people were for the most part just as faithful and true to their beliefs as we are to ours.
Plus most religions promote modesty and family values. :D Sadly our society seems to have to much fun making all religious people look like evil zealots pushing their beliefs on others, or hypocrites. :( When that isn't generally the case.
I totally agree. If people would study other religions and cultures they would find many more similarities than differences I think. However, it seems most people study other religions and cultures with the goal of tearing them down or finding weaknesses. It certainly needs to be a positive venture
--Bigredhammer
Post a Comment