Have you hugged a penguin today? (You have? Weirdo - what possessed you to hug an oily flightless bird that smells like rotting fish? Man, you need to get out more...)In spite of the above goofiness, I do like penguins. I liked them before Happy Feet, March of the Penguins, and all the other film and media that made them trendy. But mostly I like them because Penguin Day falls on my birthday. Which incidentally is today.
Two days ago I was wondering why we don't celebrate Benjamin Franklin's birthday more often. I mean, the guy not only invented tons of useful things (bifocals, potbellied stove) but he also conceived the public library (libraries were only for the elite in his day, y'know - and personally or university-owned) and the fire department. Both services are used nationwide now and even if you don't use them, you can't argue that SOME folks out there find these services useful. So while you're all having your Penguin Day parties (and celebrating my birthday), take a moment to remember Ben Franklin: Great American and universal symbol of the hundred dollar bill.
Still crazy after all these years,
Guin
4 comments:
Happy Birthday G! Hope things are going well for all of you out there & that you had a special day!
Feliz cumpleanos, happy penguination day, happy poe birthday, happy January 19. There's only one a year and it's special!
Happy Birthday Gillie! We had the Birthdays dinner over at our house tonight and as we sang Happy Birthday we said "Happy Birthday dear Hillary, Del and Gillie wherever you are... Happy Birthday to you!!!" It just wasn't the same without you and Holly was here too! :) Hope it was great!
Happy late birthday! When I read about hugging penguins, I had a beautiful image of a penguin squawking and flapping it's wings and nipping me and doing all it can to get out of my arms. Ahhhh - penguin love.
--Bigredhammer
Post a Comment