Sunday

Gift giving time!

Honestly, I didn't have a whole lot of trouble learning the truth behind the man in the red suit. I told my dad (the one who told) that I'd believe in him anyway. My mom (who didn't exactly tell, but eased the blow) told me that, now that I was in on *it*, I could play Santa myself. Which frankly is more fun anyway. :)

One thing that was always the case in our family, even prior to the Big Confession, was this: Christmas and birthday gifts were the only things about which we could lie. And lie we did (and do)! Somehow being sneaky about it makes it more fun! Almost as much fun as making an awesome gift (not quite as awesome, but close).

As you can probably tell, I take gift giving very seriously. (Seriously=dedicating a whole dang blog post to the subject) I don't like to give gift cards if there's any way to help it. They're not bad, per se, it's just that they lack character. Anyone can receive a gift card, and a gift card can be intended for anyone. I am forever on the hunt for the gift that is:

A) surprising
B) what the person will really really like
C) as cheap as I can purchase it (though this generally takes a backseat to the first two)

Gift cards do not really surprise anyone. They may be something the giftee will like, but 'like' is right up there with 'beige' for emotional response. Ever see anyone go nuts over beige outside of a home improvement show? Yeah, didn't think so. And gift cards can be cheap, but the giftee will know exactly how cheap you really are, which in other gift giving situations (the character-filled kind), has little or no bearing on the quality of the gift (if you do it right). I mean, for the right person, tube socks can be a prime gift. Probably. Very likely at least.

So, that's my diatribe about gift giving.
Go forth and be sneakily surprising (or surprisingly sneaky)!
Guin

3 comments:

Nikki said...

I agree with you whole heartedly!

ishtheintrepid said...

I'm always surprised by giftcards because I think people like me more than that. :) Like the brother who gave me one to the grocery store. "Um, thanks, hon. I'll think of you every time I pass the...um...frozen dinners aisle?"

Madam_Author said...

no, Ish, gift cards themselves aren't bad--but I do admit that a giftcard to a grocery store is a bit odd. Now if it had been to a bookstore...

Although I'm not sure how much you could have bought in a bookstore for only $10 come to think of it...