Monday

There and Back Again with Potter

I completed the last of the Harry Potter septet (is that correct?) last night (technically this morning). Well worth the wait and the effort and possibly even the loss of sleep (possibly - this last is still under debate. I like and need me sleep).

I sure hope Mrs. Rowling doesn't depart entirely from writing. While I'm glad she's created such a complete and wondrous story and that her family is now utterly cared for financially through her creative efforts, I sure hope she'll be back. Even if (sigh) she does not write about or in this world she's created. I enjoy her way of looking at things and her sense of humor. I admit I'd like to see more in the HP universe, but I think this book is neatly finished enough that only the fanfic writers will be weaving further threads. (This is not to disparage fanfic writers - they rock; it's just that they have the luxury of not needing as much to go on for a story as a fully-fledged author with book contracts and such might require)

And so the journey ends. Though I can't say I'm disappointed with the end, I am going to miss the cult culture phenomenon. It was kind of neat to see so many people get psyched about a book. I worry that others who were Potteristas during the series will drop away from their love of books and stories now that the series is complete. That would just plain stink. There are so many stories being made and that are out there already, waiting to be discovered. Go find yourself a Lloyd Alexander book! Go read some Shannon Hale! Get yourself addicted to Twilight and New Moon! Heck, read Ethan Frome if that's your passion and interest (just get some help on the side, too). Don't fade from your local library or bookstore scene - get in there and get addicted to something new and exciting, whatever it happens to be for you.

Ok, inspirational speech is over, you can come back in again. I promise not to bite. Honest.

In other news: First day of work went well, aside from being tired. Public libraries are different animals from academic libraries, but I like what I've seen and done so far. So glad it's part-time though. This could really wear a person out.

Chocolate ice cream or chocolate cake?

Update: I believe I went with cake. It's been a couple days.

Debating,
Guin

1 comment:

ishtheintrepid said...

I believe the word is either heptology (from hepta--seven--and ology--study of or collection of).