When I first ran across USC’s Science and Engineering Library renovation information it was described as “optimized for student use (Masters)” – if that doesn’t scream user-centered space, I don’t know what does. Considering the separate subject libraries date from 1920 and 1942 respectively (and were combined in 1970), they were long overdue for a faculties upgrade.
As I said in my first post, it was interesting to see some of the differences between the task force wish list and what the library actually got – or what the casual web observer can see they got, as I can’t tell from their site whether they increased the number of overall study rooms or subject librarians from the assessment in 2003. I also can’t know whether there’s been an increase without knowing what their numbers were before.
But based on the descriptions of doubled seating space and the type of seating (mobile tables and chairs, ‘lounge seating’), the library was considering students who spend a long time in the library and appreciate comfy chairs and those who work on collaborative projects and may need to reshape their workspaces at will. The improved wireless access both frees up wired kiosk access for those who need it and provides flexibility for those with mobile devices and laptops to work. The library website indicates that hours largely remain 8 am to 5 pm with some variations around exams and graduation (staying open to 2 am) but nothing like the 24-hour access they recommended in their executive summary (2003). This may be offset by the considerable database access the library site affords students, but all in-house journals are only available in print format. All the print copies of their electronically-accessible journals are housed at the Great Depository (the best name for an archive I’ve ever heard).
The compact shelving frees up a lot of floor space for the additional seating and gives the whole floor a more spacious look. Considering the decision to renovate rather than create a new building, the first floor was probably the best candidate for compact shelving due to its weight-bearing abilities (no word on the site whether the renovations included reinforcing the superstructure).
I can’t know what the library was like before from their history page – it was all of three lines, two of which were .pdf files of the 2003 task force’s findings. But I can tell from Masters’ blog article (2010) that student response has been positive – Fall 2010 usage (based on gate count) increased 35% from Fall 2009 (though to be fair the recording began in August). Increased usage is the one of the best indicators of successful user-centered initiatives. No indication is given on feedback from students vs. faculty, but that’s the sort of thing they’d measure in-house, not post on the site. The book nook or ‘Reading Lounge’ (pictured in Masters’ article on usage increases, at the bottom of the page) looks pleasant but doesn’t look terribly spacious, but the study space looks excellent. I think overall their renovation was a success, though I wish there was better online information about (and more photos of) the entire first floor. But again, that’s the sort of thing the library would expect students to come and experience first-hand rather than learn from the site. The best measure is that usage increase - it proves that if libraries provide for patrons' needs, they will come in droves!
USC Science and Engineering Task Force. (2003). Executive summary: report of the Science and Engineering task force. Retrieved from http://www.usc.edu/libraries/locations/science/history/summary.pdf
USC Science and Engineering Library. (2011, Dec. 12). Retrieved from http://www.usc.edu/libraries/locations/science/index.php
Masters, Nathan. (2010). Inside the USC libraries: Science and Engineering Library. Retrieved from http://dotsx.usc.edu/newsblog/index.php/main/comments/inside_the_usc_libraries_science_and_engineering_library/
Masters, Nathan. (2010). Renovated Science & Engineering Library attracts increased usage. Retrieved from http://dotsx.usc.edu/newsblog/index.php/main/comments/renovated_science_engineering_library_sees_increased_usage/
UPDATE: I don't remember how to turn off moderated comments, but I'm working on it. If I'm unsuccessful in fixing it, I'll just publish everything posted through midnight. But I think I'll figure it out.
FURTHER UPDATE: Ok, it's open, so you should be able to comment at will and see posts immediately! I'll keep an eye on it just in case.
FURTHER UPDATE: Ok, it's open, so you should be able to comment at will and see posts immediately! I'll keep an eye on it just in case.
11 comments:
It sounds like use is up quite a bit since renovations were completed. I liked that USC looked at multiple user needs during this renovation (comfortable chairs, the "Great Repository", outlets/wireless access, etc.). I am a little puzzled by their open hours. 8 to 5 seems a little slim to me for an academic library. Maybe as a branch library, it doesn't get as much use and the reduced hours save money . . .
Since this is a library for just Science and Engineering, is there another library available with longer hours? 8 to 5 seems rather limiting for the typical college student to have to work within. The movable seating sounds like a good idea for project work but I wonder how much use they get for that purpose since I doubt many groups can get together during those hours. I know for my undergraduate career almost all group work happened in the evenings due to conflicting class schedules for everyone.
Having wireless access at the library is a good way to free up kiosk space for users without computers or laptops. Comfy chairs always seem like a good idea to me. Compact shelving is also a good idea to have more space.
I am surprised that they do not have 24hr access and are not completely wifi. Especially since they have not done a remodel since 1970 it would have been great to include all kinds of new technology to keep it up to today's standards.
I had the same experience with the library whose renovation I reviewed: the website doesn't tell much of the story. It seems that we must hope that the librarians get a chance to write up an article providing more information. Enquiring minds want to know..
A common thread uniting this library's overhaul with the others we have read about is the provision of more places to sit, both with a computer and without. The blog posts you linked to don't really mention other services, such as group study spaces, but they were probably created as well. I imagine that they focused on capital improvements first, because those are closed-end costs, whereas providing longer opening hours requires ongoing salary payment for staff to be there.
I also find it interesting that they bothered to up the "comfortable" spaces, seeing as they're only open during typical office hours (8-5). Why bother creating a comfy space, if people won't have the luxury of using it in their off-hours (which as mentioned in Megan's comment are usually evenings, since students have conflicting class schedules)?
While I understand the reasoning behind it, I have reservations about the extent libraries are moving from "content-centered" to "user-centered" as space goes. One things I always loved about the libraries I frequent is that they have all the materials one display.
Also, in most of the user-centered blogs I visited the libraries renovating focused mainly of adding seating space and comfortable chairs. One would think that a user centered space has more to do with just a place to sit.
I would expect more from a library if they were getting rid of shelving space.
Members of the Task Force had to know that their "wish list" would be reduced. The bottom line tends to be the primary guiding force. Maybe it would be a good idea to prioritize the "wish list" in order to better reach a balance between the wants/needs of the librarians and users and the bottom line for the bean-counters.
It is important to have space in the library people will not learn as much if the labrary is crowded. A libary with a lot of space gives the feeling of being cleaned and organized a library that is crowded will turn users away.
Great work, Gillian. I like how they "dreamed big" and then did what they could. If brainstorming is based on finances e.g. people going "we can afford that" or the past "we did that 20 years ago" or simple negativity "that will never work" and the infamous "I don't like that", renovations, repurposing, anything... are never done as well as they could be. This is a great way to start things!
Post a Comment